Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pulp Fest, Day Two



On my way out the door to catch my plane - it's an ungodly hour and I really wonder why I booked it this way but I did and that's the way it goes. Will be home by 3ish California time. Just wanted to post a few photos from yesterday at Pulp Fest and to report that yesterday turnout was just as great as Friday if not better. Partly that may have been due to a local Columbus TV station covering the con on their morning news yesterday. Whatever it was, there were more people than the con had anticipated, with lots of new people to the hobby coming in, which is what we all wanted.
Otto Penzler, shown here, spoke Saturday night and reported that he has two books coming out: the first is a Black Lizard Big Book of Vampire Stories, coming out this fall, and next year, the one I've been waiting for, a Black Lizard book of Black Mask Stories. Which brings me to report that I am no longer a Black Mask virgin: I bought two copies yesterday, both early 1940s. With those purchases, I guess I have gone over to the realm of being an official collector, not one who has in the past just read Wild West Weeklies for research purposes. I have gone over to the dark side now....

9 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Wish I was there!

Mr. Penzler will have a hit on his hands with both books. And what a perfect time to have a collection of vampire stories released.

ARCHAVIST said...

That collection of Black Mask stories is already on my wanted list.

Charles Gramlich said...

I will definitely want the Black Mask stories.

Laurie Powers said...

Apparently Otto was ready to go with the Black Mask book - had picked the stories and was done with it - when his publisher asked him to get going on a vampire book pronto. So the vampire book was done in order to be released this all and the Black Mask book was pushed back to 2010. A lot of people in the room groaned over this - it's a sad day when vampires trump Chandler and Hammett - but hey, I guess you have to make hay while the sun shines.

Laurie Powers said...

Oh, and David...I saw your post on the Poe action figure. Wanted to let you know that a few years ago I saw a Vincent Van Gogh action figure at the Getty Museum. It had two interchangeable heads - one with the ear and one without. I kid you not. I've kicked myself ever since for not buying it, because I haven't found it since.

David Cranmer said...

I saw that Van Gogh action figure at the same place I got Poe. I didn't notice the two heads but I can just imagine--when I was searching for an image of Poe, I saw there is a Marie Antoinette doll whose head pops off! When I get back to Maine, I'll look for Van Gogh for you.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks, David!

Walker Martin said...

Laurie, I agree with your disappointment about the delaying of the Black Mask book because of the popularity of the vampire, etc. In my report on PulpFest for the PulpMags group, I complain about this also. At least the news about a big book on adventure stories is a good sign. Maybe if it's successful we might even see the big book of western pulp stories!

Laurie Powers said...

Wouldn't that be cool, Walker. Yes I forgot to mention in my post that he is currently compiling stories for a Black Lizard book of Adventure stories. And I emailed Otto yesterday because I'm ordering a book from him (the Murder/Sports series he did a few years ago) and reported of the interest on my blog about the Black Mask anthology.
It was great meeting you too Walker and I think waiting another year for a get together is tooooo long.