Monday, August 3, 2009

California Writer's Club talk, August 4

Just a short note for now to let you all know that I'll be speaking at the California Writer's Club, Long Beach branch, tomorrow night, at 6 p.m. It will be at the Los Altos branch of the Long Beach library, just off of Bellflower and Britton. I'll be talking about my grandfather's book, Pulp Writer, and also give a short history of pulp fiction. And now that I'm reinforced with all this good information I got at Pulp Fest, I'll have loads of new stories to tell. Hope I can fit it all in an hour - I was running over time before, so it will be even harder now. I'll also put out my display of pulps (a small pile but growing and now more respectable with two Black Masks) and will have Pulp Writer for sale there as well.

Speaking of Black Mask, I was mulling over the idea of reading the stories in these and then reporting on the stories as I go on this blog. Plus any anecdotes of the writers, IF I can find information. Some of the stories may be under pseudonyms, so I may not get far with that. But then other names should be easy to track, because as we know many well-known writers wrote for Black Mask. I know one of these issues has an Erle Stanley Gardner in it, for example. If this is something that appeals to you, let me know with a comment - it will encourage me to get started. By the way, the Black Mask shown here is NOT the one I bought. If it was, I wouldn't be having to go to work today.

I'm not exactly sold on my blog's new format. I did really like the last format with the photo on top, but I always wanted to have that photo be a pulp cover or an photo from an old Western movie. But pulp covers didn't fit the template, and it was very hard to find old Western photos that would fit into the template that Blogger provides - they always came up only filling in half of the template with the other half white. Plus the photos I would use would end up very large, so you readers were forced to scroll down just to get to the first post. If you all have any ideas, let me know. One thing I do like about this template is that you get to the first post right away so you can start reading my wonderful prose immediately.

8 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Wish I was close enough to be there.

ARCHAVIST said...

Laurie please do read the Black Mask stories and review them here. And as for pictures simply open them up in any editing software and crop them to the right shape and Blogger will resize for you/

Walker Martin said...

Laurie, definitely review the Black Mask issues and let us know your thoughts. I'm always interested in what other collectors think of the fiction, some of which is of quite high quality.

I was glad to meet you at PulpFest but sorry we couldn't find time to talk more. The weekend flew by in a flash. I'm already thinking of next year's convention.

Laurie Powers said...

I have already started on my first story, Walker, and guess what - it's a Frederick C. Davis story called "I Thought I'd Die," starring a character named Peter Trapp. I emailed Karen last night to find out if she knew anything about this story of her grandfather's and/or the character of and she didn't! She did some quick research and found out that it looks like there were only two Peter Trapp stories done.

Pap said...

WhoopsI should have waited to email you with Walker Martin's email address of site until I read the comments figured Walker could answer any questions re Black Mask.
Nice to meet you at last at PulpFest and happy that you had a good time.---Barry Traylor

Pap said...

Gotta change my user name. Pap is what my grand-daughter Zoe calls me and what I use to post on her blog.----Barry Traylor

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks, Pap - uh, Barry. It was great hanging with you at Pulp Fest.

Loretta said...

I love your blog and really appreciate your posts.

This blog is also a good way to meet people who share similat interest. Three cheers to you.

You should also share this with the moms in the bizymoms Bellflower community