Thursday, August 13, 2009

Black Horse Westerns in True West and Adopting Wild Mustangs

Just started a new story this morning from the September 1943 issue of Black Mask: "Heads, the Corpse Loses," by D.L. Champion. Hopefully it won't take me a week to read it like the last story did. Not that the last story was slow; there just isn't enough hours in the day.

Also wanted to point out to everyone about the new issue of True West magazine. There is a two-page spread in this issue (August) about some of my favorite writers: those of the Black Horse Western variety. The article discusses Robert Hale company in London publishes more Black Horse Westerns per year than Leisure Books here in the U.S. It's a good piece and worth buying the magazine for.

I haven't had a chance to look at the rest of the magazine for reasons pointed out in the first paragraph above, but one ad did catch my eye: the upcoming schedule for adopting Mustangs, sponsored by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. There are several during the next month in Ithaca, NY (New York and wild Mustangs: there's a combination I'd never thought I'd be seeing), Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho, Indiana and if my state abbreviation knowledge is correct, MS = Mississippi. Go to wildhorseandburro.blm.gov for more info. I'd like to go to one of these some day to check it out, although I have reservations. I'd probably come home with one or two, and loading them into my Hyundai Tucson would be a problem.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Beautiful horses. I often take longer to read a story or book than I'd like just because of having so little time.

ARCHAVIST said...

Beautiful horses.

David Cranmer said...

I'm as amazed as you. I grew up fifteen minutes from Ithaca.