Sunday, July 19, 2009

Learning to Hang Loose

It's 5:45 Sunday morning and forgive me for going off-topic for a post here. It's what I do to cope with a cat that throws up - only in the middle of the night I might add. Why can't she do it at least during the day when I'm awake?

Many of you know about my passion for Dodger baseball. I even attended Thursday's game just to see Mr. Ramirez's return (and he thanked me by going 1 for 4). It was awful - the Houston Astro's outfield barely had to lift a finger and what does that tell you? Friday's game was even worse, but I was mercifully spared that spectacle. After Friday, we (meaning everyone within a 50 mile radius of Los Angeles) were ready to throw in the towel.

How spoiled are we? The Dodgers have the best team in baseball and have been in that position almost since the beginning of the year and have never lost 3 games in a row. This has been a spectacular year, to say the least. And they lose two in a row and people start to panic. "We were on our way to the World Series and now they're having a meltdown!!!"

Dodger fans have a reputation of being -- let's use a euphemism here - mercurial - and have the shortest memory of any fan base that I know of. And kill me for saying this, but many times you learn more from the games you lose than the games you win. (I can hear the collective gasp from my Dodger friends right now - don't make me pay for lunch today for that statement!) At least that's what my high school P.E. coach told me, but it may have been just to appease us when we were losing our 10th straight in volleyball. After a while you being to lose track of what you're learning.

Don't panic. Just hang loose like Manny here. Which they did on Saturday and beat the Astros 5-2. Take one day or game at a time and stop thinking about what will happen tomorrow. You can't get to the World Series by not paying attention to today's game.

Now if I could just get that cat of mine to stop waking me at 4 in the morning. Where's the learning lesson there?

P.S. I didn't take the photo - wish I did. Jae Hong of AP took it.

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

The lesson learned? Ah, I'm from New York. I should remain very quiet about the first half of your post and cats throwing up is the worst. We own a steam cleaner that helps considerably and we travel so much right now that our cats stay with our moms. That cuts down on messes we have to clean up. :)

Laurie Powers said...

You have it good with your cats, David.
As for the rest of the post, I'm well aware of the lightning rod that is Manny Ramirez. Just because I go watch him play doesn't mean that condone everything he does. On the other hand, I think he has been unfairly singled out for something that a lot of players have been guilty of. And that's all I'm going to say because I want you to keep reading my blog. :)

Dodgergirl65 said...

Oh how right you are Laurie....the doom and gloom we feel after a loss, the euphoria after a win. I do notice a direct connection in my mood based on the latest box score. In the words of Manny "They love me here, this is MY town" As for your poor kitty....I hope he/she is feeling better.