Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farrah Fawcett 1947-2009



I never was that impressed with Farrah when she was a Charlie's Angel. In fact, I was always slightly irritated with her because her poster was in my ex-husband's room when we were first dating. From then on, she represented an ideal that I could never aspire to.

Then I saw Extremities and later on television The Burning Bed. And I began to admire her - not for her acting skill, but her bravery in taking on risk-taking roles and her determination to push the stereotypes out of the way. I was more than irritated when I read her obit in the New York Times today that kept mentioning that, as far as they were concerned, she was unsuccessful in overcoming the sex symbol stereotype. Excuse me. The aforesaid movies, along with her other roles, like in The Apostle, helped earn her a reputation as a serious and talented actress.

The documentary that she made in the last years of her life was another testimony of her character. I could barely watch the scene in which she sat with her doctors as they told her there was no hope. She managed to hold it together, but the devastation in the room was more than evident.

She took risks. She never gave up. And for that I will always view her as a success.

4 comments:

David Cranmer said...

You have nicely summed up her courageous spirit. I liked her as well but whenever I think of Farrah's roles it's for her small part in Logan's Run and her guest spot on The Six Million Dollar Man. Oh, and somewhere in storage I have that poster. RIP.

TypingLikeTheWind-Yeah! said...

So well said, Laurie. I thought the Burning Bed movie was really risky for her -- and well done for the time. Parts of the film have stayed with me. I'm interested in how reluctant many writers are to just adore someone, or at least say: She was flawed, AND wonderful. All at the same time. You hit it on the head.

Ann Parker said...

I loved your tribute. I mostly just remember how many women went for the "Farrah hair" look in the '70s. I shall have to check out her later work.

Kris said...

That is a lovely tribute to a lovely lady who most certainly DID overcome her sex symbol status, especially in the grace she displayed as she faced death. Her courage and inner beauty were amazing.