Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday, sans Facebook

For all of my Easter-celebrating friends, Happy Easter. Here's my bunny:
Now that I've been able to come up for air after being submersed in Facebook for the last two days, I've decided that I'm only going to go into that "den of iniquity" once a day. Let's see how long that will last.

Interestingly enough, I picked up a copy of the current Writer's Digest yesterday on my way home. I'm finding that Writer's Digest is a great magazine for helping writers; not as much in the "how to write" venue, but in "how to market your writing," which I find extremely helpful. Lo and behold, there is an interesting article called "A Writer's Guide to Social Networking." The article talks about how Facebook and other sites like Twitter and LinkedIn can help writers market themselves. And guess what - the first section is on Facebook. It talks about how groups related to your subject, joining your own group, posting events and updating your status regularly can all help. But the last section really stuck out: "AVOID GETTING ADDICTED." It partly goes on to say "Budget how much time you spend on Facebook each day. While it can be a valuable tool, your efforts to write, get published and get visible take precedence." Words to the wise.

All of this is a round about way for me to declare that, once again, I am going to try to get down to writing more. You see, part of the problem has been not on HOW to write, but WHAT to write. I just haven't found anything lately to be of enough worth to take the effort to write about it. Maybe that's just partly because of the rough time I went through last year, but regardless, that's behind me and I'm running out of excuses.

What that, I ventured out this morning to the secret garden and took some photos. It's not the best time of day, because there are way too many contrasting light and shadows working against me, as you will see. But then it can result in some interesting shots, like of the rose. Plus I wanted to check on a few things. The lamb's ears are doing very well, but the black eyed susans, that I planted so they will climb up the obelisk, are struggling. But then I just planted it a few weeks ago.

And it was just a peaceful way to start the day. The animals joined me, even the cat, who showed her approval of the cobblestone work I did a few weekends ago.

Have a great day, everyone.
P.S. At the end of the Writer's Digest article, it says that the "WD community editors welcome friend requests" on Facebook and Twitter. On Facebook, look for Writer's Market, Poet's Market, the WD Authors & editors group and WD magazine.

2 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

I love the plants & animals there. Such an inviting looking space!
You might want to see if your local library carries "The Writer's Handbook" or any other writer's guides--sometimes there's good info in there on marketing, as well. Sometimes there are at least semi-inspiring tidbits, too, but I'm not much of a writer, myself.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks, Lana! I'll look it up - I'm always at the library. Hope you have a good weekend.