Monday, July 28, 2008

Blogs for Western Enthusiasts

Anybody interested in the Western genre, or anything having to do with popular culture for that matter, should check out http://tainted-archive.blogspot.com/, which belongs to Western writer Gary Dobbs. Fantastic archive of Western works can be found there.

Also, Chris' The L'Amour Project, http://www.lamourproject.com/, which is a lot of fun. Chris asked in a comment to a previous post whether I thought Louis L'Amour was a "pulp" writer, and my opinions on that. I know that he got his start in the pulps -- I want to say it was in the late 40s and the 50s. But for the most part I would not call him a "pulp writer" because he did not make his name or most of his income from the "pulp" magazines of the 30s and 40s. Most purists and pulp fiction historians seem to think that writing for the magazines is a criteria to being called a "pulp" writer in the historical sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, readers. And I don't think there's as much of a negative connotation to an author being referred to as a pulp writer anymore. there's a lot of interest in this part of popular culture history (just go to one of my presentations and see the interest there) and many people know that a lot of writers graduated from the pulps to the better known "slick" magazines, paperbacks and mainstream novels. Many writers considered the pulps a good training ground for their later writing.

Thanks for your interest in my blog, guys, and I'll add yours to my list.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Laurie! I've got a new post up today and will have a DOUBLE REVIEW post tonight. Looking forward to your next post, and thanks for the clarification on "pulp" writing.

ARCHAVIST said...

I think that pulp is a style now rather than the true historical definition. I would say the author's of the Black Horse Westerns, which include myself, are pulp writers. I would also say people like Lawrance Block, Robert Parker and Richard Laymon are pulp writers. What do you think of that theory - does the spirit of the original pulp writers imbue modern work?

Ray said...

Finally, I have found Laurie's blog site. Better late than never.
I thought that 'pulps' were books or mags printed on what we now term as recycled paper - and cheaper.
Reading across the board it seems that anyone who writes in a 'genre' is a pulp writer. So, following that theory, it would put the likes of Richard Laymon into that category.
There must be a bias against genre or pulp writers - when was the last time a Sci-Fi or horror or western put up for the Booker Prize?

Laurie - I have started up a blog if you want to take a look at http://brokentrails.blogspot.com